You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-10 06:54:10

Y2JFanatic

Who else stopped watching AEW because they suck? No bot here...

I watched AEW right when they started. Started watching every ppv and then watched them a while when they first made it on TV and then I stopped.

Why did I stop? Bad storylines, wrestling wasn't getting all that great, terrible gimmicks... they're just as bad as WWE. I also looked at AEW as WCW nostalgia, ya know? Kind of ripping off WCW a little bit.

I continue to watch WWE 'cause I've always been a fan since I was a kid. Never gave up on WWE even though they can get bad from time to time.

Am I the only one who thinks AEW sucks?

#2 2022-04-10 09:20:21

wwebrad96

Re: Who else stopped watching AEW because they suck? No bot here...

I tried watching AEW (also ROH,NJPW,TNA) but the fanbase is so embarrassing and toxic. The wrestling itself is just fine. Its just the man children that kill it for me. Lol. I love wrestling. Its a huge part of my life. But Im not gonna try and convince a girl its real and get pissed when she laughs in my faces.lmao
I almost quit watching wrestling in general because I didnt want to be associated with those kind of people but I didnt...

I still watch wwe because like you I've watched it since I was a kid. As a matter of fact I cant even remember a period in my life when I didn't watch wwe. And for the aew fans. Yes I know wwe has its share of weeb ass fans but they arent as loud and annoying.

Last edited by wwebrad96 (2022-04-10 09:20:48)

#3 2022-04-10 10:30:38

Tommy

I tried to like AEW, ordered the first All Out, and the first few ppvs after that so I put in the effort to watch them and give them a real chance before judging their product. That said they've become unbearable for many reasons I'll get into.

Reason number one, the hypocritical fanbase. Trust me WWE has their share of horrendous fans but AEW fans are the worst. The ones who think AEW can do no wrong, who jizz their pants over everything and anything they do, acting as if every show, every match is just perfect with zero flaws. Criticize WWE for doing things but praise AEW for the same thing they criticized WWE for doing. WWE uses legends and it's called "taking the spot of a younger talent". AEW uses a legend and it's called "great nostalgia and good use of a legend". And they always use the term "WWE isn't the end all be all" but sure as hell think AEW is.

Next is the AEW talent. Go on these podcasts or even in promos just trash WWE, say things like they held me back, didn't utilize me properly meanwhile lets not pretend like they're being utilized any better. They take all these digs at the company for what? To be stuck in midcard hell and catering with the next company they joined? CM Punk taking shots at WWE meanwhile he would be there right now had they made him an offer. He signed with Fox for that Backstage show and stated to Renee in the interview he'd listen to an offer, he's not getting any younger and if the money was right he'd go back. He reiterated that on several podcasts and radio shows after the interview with Renee. Fact is WWE didn't want him, never made an offer so AEW it is so lets be cool and trash the company you ultimately wanted to be in instead of AEW.

Next is the gimmicky shit. This gimmick of a wrestler in WWE is stupid, this match concept is stupid yet what do they do? They have a fucking match where you lose by being thrown into a pool of orange juice. Comedy skits in WWE being labeled a joke or hokey yet you have a match in a stadium where Jericho prances around with a traffic cone on his head. Talk about hokey. And the blood, cursing, giving the camera the middle finger as the show goes off the air. Comes off as forced and to say "hey look guys we're edgy".

Lastly Tony Kahn and more talent hypocrisy. Stated multiple times they want to build new stars, Jericho said they only want 2 WWE guys. Everyone on their roster besides Wardlow was a name elsewhere. Don't tell me Adam Page, MJF among others are new stars when they made their start in ROH, MLW. A new star is someone built from scratch, the ground up, someone no one ever heard of prior to arriving in their company. That's a new star.

#4 2022-04-10 13:56:23

Enziguri

I enjoy both WWE and AEW, but I watch more WWE than AEW.

Firstly I don't tend to go to AEW chat sites or engage with other AEW fans online because, as others have said, the AEW fans are cringe as hell and borderline unbearable. They have a really shitty attitude. As others have said, they mindlessly criticise WWE for everything they do, whilst blindly praising AEW for everything. And if you just happen to disagree with their opinion or give the slightest bit of criticism to their product? They will literally cry like a 5 year old.

Secondly, I think WWE is just easier viewing than AEW. I watch wrestling casually. Usually I'll have it on in the background whilst I'm doing something else. WWE makes it easy to do that, because you don't have to be watching non-stop and it has nice breaks in the action. AEW is like there is ALWAYS something happening. The matches move at 1000 miles per hour and you feel like you need to be glued to the TV for every single match. That gets tiring after a while. I'll watch the AEW PPVs and the occasional episode of Dynamite if I'm in the mood for it, but I don't want to have to sit and be glued to the TV for every episode.

I also think WWE just has a better format as to how it tells its stories. They don't go all in on the weekly TV shows, they just use RAW and Smackdown to build a story. While the big stuff happens on PPVs or occasionally on RAW or Smackdown. With AEW it's like they're trying to pack every episode of Dynamite with these big story beats and it just gets tiring and time consuming trying to keep up with it all.

I honestly don't see AEW keeping it up in the long run. If their talent are going out every week and beating the hell out of each other and bleeding all over the place and throwing each other into thumb tacks and through flaming tables on free TV, not only do the fans get desensitised to it and stop appreciating it, but in 10 years time half of the AEW roster are probably going to be a broken down wreck with bad knees and bad backs retiring in their early 40's because their bodies can't take the abuse any more. Meanwhile you look at WWE who has guys like Randy Orton , Kofi Kingston, The Miz and Sheamus who can perform at a top level for 10-20+ years and still retire healthy.

Just look at Kenny Omega. Yes he's a great wrestler, but he does so much crazy shit in his matches, and once he's done one crazy match the fans want his matches to get crazier and crazier because the fans are never content and always want more. And before you know it Kenny Omega is out of action for a year with a laundry list of injuries. If AEW just pumped the breaks every now and then and were a little smarter about how and when they put in these big performances, top stars like Kenny Omega would probably be able to perform for much longer and be much healthier when he finally retires.

And finally, it's almost become cliché to say it, but AEW needs to cut down their roster drastically. They have signed so many big stars over the last year or two that there's literally no TV time for half of them to get a storyline, and it's become a serious problem. AEW has to resort to making a bunch of random stables just so their wrestlers can get TV time by standing silently in the background whilst the leader of their stable cuts a promo.  What has Jack Swagger ever done in AEW since signing other than standing in the background silently during a Chris Jericho promo?  AEW threw a bunch of money at guys like Andrade, Malakai Black, Bryan Danielson, Chris Jericho and Adam Cole only to put them in some random stable because they dont have the TV time to give them a singles push.  AEW is trying to push all these different people at once,  and there's no TV time to share between them. So you get people like Keith Lee and Jay Lethal who debut to all this fanfare and then instantly fizzle out and disappear into the crowd.

Last edited by Enziguri (2022-04-10 14:22:44)

#5 2022-04-10 16:00:21

Majin Tween
Administrator
Website

AEW right now is the promotion I'm enjoying the most and the only one I'm making it a point to actively watch week-to-week, but they do a ton of stuff I have no interest in and I wish their shows had a better, more fluid structure rather than everything feeling so segmented. Far from a perfect product, but it's got enough good that I can enjoy it.

#6 2022-04-10 17:00:40

RyanP

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said about AEW. I will also add that it is not a good look for AEW when one of your EVPs jumps ship to your rival. We can all speculate as to why Cody left AEW but no matter the reason it still isn’t a good look for them. Not to mention that one of their wrestlers Marko Stunt was told he wasn’t going to be re-signed because of budget cuts which again is not a good look for a company that just spent millions on acquiring another wrestling promotion and has a lot of money sunk into their video game division. AEW has a solid product but they have a lot of issues to work out and AEW fans aren’t going to be able to use the “they are still a new company give them time to grow” excuse much longer.

Last edited by RyanP (2022-04-10 17:07:47)

#7 2022-04-11 08:23:17

Y2JFanatic

These are surprisingly great responses. Keep 'em coming. Love reading them!

#8 2022-04-11 12:58:15

RyanP

Now you’ve got Tony Khan saying that all of AEW’s critics are bots and trolls? Really? Is he really that much of a narcissistic man child that he can’t accept that there are actual wrestling fans that don’t like his product?

#9 2022-04-13 16:12:46

Blazaholic

I'm more of a casual viewer of wrestling if anything these days. I mostly watch videos and read recaps, as far as AEW though I can't really name many feuds they've had to tell you what sucked and what didn't. I've loved the stuff with Punk and MJF though, Darby and MJF was pretty good too. I think most of their bad stuff comes from their spots, whether it's Jericho falling into foam, Eddie Kingston dying from embarrassment following the lack of pyro in that exploding death match. I'm sure they've had bad feuds, they have key pieces to help carry their show though, same with WWE. A lot of people complain about WWE not pushing the right star, or killing pushes, but AEW can probably be just as guilty of that. Danielson had a ton of buzz upon debuting and I feel like they've killed that buzz, much in the same way WWE killed the buzz of Edge (in my opinion). Christian's buzz has died down a lot since debuting and winning the TNA Championship. It seems that the majority of viable main eventers are either in tag teams or factions and not really in the world title picture. They keep hiring, inflating their roster, some before they even have a plan. What's Keith Lee done since debuting? Has he even had a feud yet? I think they're finding out what WWE found out the hard way pre pandemic. You can have more talent than you know what to do with.

#10 2022-06-06 18:55:29

WrestlingExpert

For me personally, I still find AEW to be more enjoyable than WWE. One could argue that the roster has gotten too large, and some people are not happy with some of the booking and creative, but that's bound to happen with ANY wrestling company. I find it difficult to sit through a WWE program anymore. AEW delivers a product that I usually enjoy watching from start to finish.

Board footer